Paul Carlson Memorial Print Competition
Chairman's Report 2013
The 34th Paul Carson Memorial B&W Print Competition was held on Wednesday May 1, 2013, at the Merrimack Valley Camera Club, which met at the Trinitarian Congregational Church, 72 elm St, N Andover, MA.
Each club entered 20 B&W prints, no more than 4 per maker.
The Manchester Camera Club finished in first place with 468 points. Second was the Merrimack Valley Camera Club with 455 points; Greater Lynn Photographic Association was third with 443 points; Boston Camera Club was fourth with 441 points; and New England Shutterbugs was fifth with 405 points.
Individual awards :
1st - 30 points - Doo Lough Pier - Gary Hoyt, Merrimack Valley CC
2nd - 29 points - Lion Family - Irv Weiner, Boston CC
3rd - 28 points - #7470 - Joe Drapeau, Manchester CC
4th - 27 points - Bass Harbor - Joe Drapeau, Manchester CC
5th - 27 points - Blue Bayas - Don Jin, Boston CC
HM - 26 points - Homeless - Sandy McMillan, Merrimack Valley CC
HM - 26 points - Portland Head Sunset in B&W - Bill Gehan, Manchester CC
HM - 26 points - St. Mary's Lake - Kent Messamore, Manchester CC
HM - 26 points - Stern - Yair Melamed, Boston CC
HM - 26 points - Florence Mirrored - T Charkaborty, Boston CC
I want to thank the following people -
Larry Picardy, for getting the ribbons (on short notice);
Larry Warfield, for setting up and operating the scoring machine
(on short notice);
Glenn Guaraldi, for putting up the prints;
David Parsons, for judging;
Gail Hansche-Godin, for judging;
Sarah Musumeci, for judging (on very short notice!).
The Paul Carlson Memorial Print Competition was first held
on May 8, 1980 at the Lawrence Public Library. Paul was a
member of our club who was a master printmaker.
The first contest was won by Lawrence CC (that's us) with
495 points, 2nd was Greater Lynn CC with 477 points, and 3rd
was Kenoza CC with 456 points.
|Who can participate?
||3-6 clubs are invited to participate.
||May 1, 2013
||This information will be provided to the participating clubs.
||Black and White prints with no restrictions on subject matter.
||See results of previous Carlsons. Or view previous Chairman's Reports.
- Each club may submit 20 black and white prints, with no restrictions
on subject matter. Prints may be any size up to 16" by 20".
- All prints must be mounted, with a maximum mount size of 16x20
- Framed prints are not eligible.
- Prints must be identified on the back with the maker's name,
title of print and Camera Club.
- Record sheets and number labels will be distributed about
one month before the competition, to be filled in by each club's
print chairman. Record sheets should be returned to the Merrimack
Valley CC Paul Carlson Memorial Print Competition Coordinator
at least one week before the competition. Prints may be brought
in on the night of the competition.
- The MVCC will supply 3 judges for the competition.
- Prints will be scored by the judges on a 3 - 10 point basis.
The scores will be recorded by the Merrimack Valley Camera Club,
with additional sets of score sheets available for other club
- The total score for each print will be the sum of the 3
judges' scores for that print. Print makers will be awarded 1st,
2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 5 Honorable Mention ribbons. In the event
of tie scores, the judges will be asked to rank order equal
scores without changing the point scores.
- The points for each club will be totaled and the highest
scoring club will be given an award. In the event of a tie,
the club with the highest ranking print will be the winner.
- Entry fee will be $10 per club.
- Ribbons will be given to club representatives for distribution
at their club meetings. Awards will be available for presentation
to the winning club the night of the competition.
- Prints entered in the competition will each receive a "Paul
Carlson Memorial Print Competition" label with date and
- Prints shall not have been entered in any previous Paul Carlson
Memorial Print Competition.
- No more than 4 prints may be entered from any one maker.
- A person may enter through one club only.